Like most tools in connectCAD, the Matrix tool has various tweaks and settings that you may need to change to suit your needs. Here’s how to adjust these and some important notes on how Vectorworks stores these settings.
Select the Matrix tool and locate the “spanner”icon
In the top – right just above the drawing you’ll find the spanner icon. You click this to set the tool preferences. Let’s do this now.
Matrix tool preferences
I’ve widened the dialog by dragging the lower right corner so we can easily read all the text. Here in the Matrix tool we have 3 preference items:
1) this sets the point where the first socket is inserted – in grid spaces below the top of the device rectangle. Try it to see the effect.
2) this sets the distance in grid spaces between the last socket and the bottom of the device rectangle i.e. adds space at the bottom.
3) this sets the width of the device created.
Pressing OK saves the changes and these are applied in the current document.
If you want your new settings to become the default for new documents read on. There are two ways to do this.
Saving the settings in a template
If you save the drawing with its modified settings as a template, each time you start a new drawing from that template it will have all the necessary tool settings loaded. This is a very powerful technique because you may have different styles for different applications or different clients. This way you don’t need to remember all the adjustments you’ve made for a particular job – you just load the template.
Changing the system defaults
First open the VectorScript plug-in Editor.
Edit the Parameters of the Matrix tool
1) select the Matrix tool in the list
2) click the Parameters buttons
3) select the parameter you want to change
4) click the edit button
5) Enter the default value – DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME OR TYPE OF THE PARAMETER THE TOOL WILL STOP WORKING !
OK everything to set the new default
Things to be aware of
The system defaults are overridden by the current document settings. So if you start from a template you will not see the changes you’ve made above. You will only see the system defaults if you are starting from a new blank document.